Baselight LOOK is a Mac-only version of the powerful Baselight software which has been developed as a key tool used within our Baselight Learning Programme.
The software, which replaces Baselight STUDENT, adds the ability to export BLG files, allowing new and professional users to create and develop looks which seamlessly slot into new or existing commercial production pipelines.
The software will run on any recent Apple Mac hardware platform and includes native support for the M1 processor. Many popular SDI output devices are also supported, enabling video monitoring via professional SDR and HDR monitors.
It includes virtually all the features and functions of a full turnkey Baselight system, however as it is primarily intended as a learning tool, there some restrictions:
- Rendering is limited to h.264 movies or JPEG images (individual stills or frame sequences), however there is no restriction on output resolution.
- Jobs and Scenes created by Baselight LOOK cannot be imported into a full Baselight system (including Baselight EDITIONS) and vice-versa.
- Only specific hardware control surfaces are supported (including the FilmLight Slate control panel – please refer to the full specifications below).
The Baselight LOOK application is built from exactly the same software source as our high-end turnkey Baselight systems. That means it will always be up-to-date with the latest release in terms of features and tool set. For a comprehensive list of Baselight functionality, please refer to the datasheets in the Document Library on our web site. Some of the highlights of Baselight LOOK include:
- Supports same camera source formats as full Baselight systems.
- Includes full conforming functionality from AAF, XML and CMX EDLs.
- Built-in end-to-end Truelight Colour Space management with same DRTs as full Baselight.
- Support for several hardware control surfaces including Slate (but not Blackboard).
- SDI monitoring (including support for HDR) via a range of video output devices.
- Audio monitoring with support for up to 16 output channels.
- 4:2:0 Y’CbCr cache enabling smooth playback on older and lower-powered machines.
- Render timeline at any resolution as single h.264* movie, movie per shot or JPEG image sequence.
- Export shot lists (complete with metadata) CMX EDLs and reports.
- Free access to FilmLight API software suite.
- 6 month ‘auto-renewing’ licence (simply make sure your computer is connected to the internet and the licence will automatically renew after 6 months).
- Only available for the macOS operating system.
- Licence only available to registered users – the software is not freely distributable.
- Blackboard control panels are not supported.
- Rendering out is limited to h.264* and JPEG formats.
- Cannot access or import full Baselight scenes (and vice-versa).
- Baselight LOOK uses a different database structure for jobs and scenes, so you cannot share projects between Baselight LOOK and full Baselight.
- Exported BLG files only contain static ‘look’ data (ie. they have no time-based information and cannot be used to recreate a graded timeline).
- No consolidate functionality.
Minimum system platform
- Mac computer running macOS 11
- 16GB RAM
- Internal SSD for caching
- macOS 12
- Mac Studio (M1 Max)
- 64GB memory
- SDI output device
- High-performance SSD/RAID for caching and media playback
* h.264 long-GOP QuickTime/MP4 only