Effective Colour Management from Production to Distribution
Truelight Colour Spaces allow colour space conversions to be performed with the speed, accuracy, and dynamic range permitted by native floating-point GPU functionality. They can be defined externally of Baselight formats, and have a powerful function set that allows complex transforms formerly only possible with 3D LUT mechanisms.
Truelight Colour Spaces:
Improvements in Baselight 5.0
For more info on Truelight Colour Spaces, see these recent videos from the International Cinematography Days 2018 in Stuttgart:
This video explains the improvements to colour management in the Baselight v5 release. The video looks at the architectural changes to colour management, including:
- Mastering Colour Space
- DRT families and viewing conditions
- New default colour space (FilmLight: T-Log / E-Gamut)
- New DRT family (Truelight CAM)
- Truelight Scene Looks
From Photons captured by a Camera to Photons emitted by a Display
In this seminar, FilmLight's Daniele Siragusano provided a full and complete picture of how data acquired by a camera is recorded, manipulated, finally interpreted and prepared to be viewed by the audience. Several fundamental concepts were explained:
- Camera profiling: the principles of camera encoding and operations.
- A novel way to think about exposing a camera.
- Different colour grading styles and their heritage.
- Colour appearance modeling and preferred colour reproduction.
- Base Grade: a photographic approach to colour grading.
Managing Colour in a Multi-Delivery Production
In this seminar, Daniele discussed future-proof colour management strategies optimised for multi-delivery (SDR and HDR). First, fundamental differences in display characteristics between HDR and SDR Displays were reviewed from a technical and creative standpoint. Based on those findings, the major HDR distribution standards were examined from a conceptual standpoint. Finally, a distribution agnostic post-production colour workflow, and an outlook on future work, were presented.